Monday, July 14, 2014

I Am A Feminist. Aren't You?

Beyonce #Quote #Inspirational #Motivational #SelfWorthMy roommate is a big Beyonce fan. She stands for gender equality and empowering women to do what they want and to be strong. I admire that. Recently, I read a quote by John Legend saying that he was a feminist and that he thinks everyone should be one. Sometimes my roommate proposes questions about gender equality that I didn't necessarily consider before, and I love how passionate she is about it. We are strong, independent women, and that is something to be proud of.

Feminism is not about pushing for women to be the dominate race. It is not about belittling men or saying that we do not need men in this world. It is not about chopping off all of our hair. It is not about becoming a lesbian. It is not about ignoring that men exist and do incredible things, too.





Feminism is:
From Google. Search "Feminism".
Wikipedia Definition


It makes me sad when guys make comments about a girl "taking feminism too far." Or seeing feminists as crazy women who don't shave under their arms and hate men. That's not what feminism is about. Everyone should be a feminist. Even men. Everyone should want the equality for all people, and in a nation so focused on "equality", we should mean equality for all. 

From dictionary.com





http://www.ijreview.com/2014/07/156463-15-women-share-reasons-dont-need-empowered-feminist-movement/

Recently, there was an article showing 15 girls who were rejecting Feminism.* It's hard to see girls misinterpreting feminism so much, and thinking that they are "strong" or "empowered" for not believing in or supporting feminism. In reality, they are saying "I am so strong and confident that I do not think I should be considered equal to my male counterparts." Try saying that out loud. Sounds kind of funny, right? That's because it simply doesn't make sense for someone to want to be seen as inferior. 

The other day a friend of mine told me that people at her work just assume that she is incapable of carrying the heavier bags of mulch or heavier items customers buy because she is a girl. For the record: she can carry them! And by saying that, I am not saying that this fact makes her "superior" to a boy of equal strength. I am saying that there should not be assumptions about what we are capable of just because we are women.

I am a feminist. Aren't you?

Even John Legend calls himself a feminist.








*I am not promoting this article. Look if you would like, but the views of that article do not in any way reflect the ideals and views of this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Found this song kind of relevant: http://youtu.be/GXoZLPSw8U8
    Give it a listen! Empowering women to be proud of who they are(:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Bridget I was going to make a separate post for this song, because it is so great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't say you are sad when you hear guys say a woman "took feminism too far". There are woman who do that! I am a feminist too, but I hear feminists who yell at guys for holding a door open for them or for asking to take them out on a date. All women should be feminists, that is true. But, it is also true that there are some woman who do take it too far. Not you! You're article was great! I just want you to understand that those guys were possibly just yelled at for holding a door open politely! I've seen it happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I appreciate your comment. I still stand by what I originally said. The point of this post is to show how much people misinterpret "feminism". This drives my point home further that people who interpret it like that I are not simply advocating for equality but are looking for something more. I am not an extremist on either end. I believe in equality, and I think that it is okay to accept a kind gesture by another human being. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete